The Code4Lib Scholarship Committee will award 5 diversity scholarships based on merit and need. Each scholarship will provide up to $1,000 to cover travel costs and conference fees for a qualified attendee to attend the 2015 Code4Lib Conference, which will be held in Portland, Oregon, from February 9 - 12, 2015.
Applications are due by December 31, 2014 at 5 PM EST (see below for more details).
DIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIP ELIGIBILITY, CRITERIA, AND REQUIREMENTS
To qualify for a scholarship, an applicant must be interested in actively contributing to the mission and goals of the Code4Lib Conference.
- Two scholarships will be awarded to any woman or transgender person.
- Two scholarships will be awarded to any person of Hispanic or Latino, Black or African-American, Asian, Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander, or American Indian or Alaskan Native descent.
- One scholarship will be awarded to the best remaining candidate who meets any of the previously mentioned eligibility requirements.
Eligible applicants may apply based on multiple criteria, but no applicant will receive more than one scholarship. Past winners of any Code4Lib scholarship are not eligible for a scholarship.
The scholarship recipients will be selected based upon their merit and financial needs.
Registration spots are being held for scholarship recipients. If you can attend only if you receive a scholarship, there is no need to register for the conference at this point. Scholarship recipients will receive a special link for free registration, or will be reimbursed if they have already registered.
Scholarship recipients are required to write and submit a brief trip report to the Code4Lib 2015 Scholarships Committee by April 1, 2015 to be posted to the Code4Lib wiki. The report should address: (a) what kind of experience they had at the conference, (b) what they have learned, (c) what suggestions they have for future attendees and conference organizers.
All reimbursement forms and receipts must be received by May 26, 2015.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send an email to Francis Kayiwa (francis.kayiwa_at_gmail.com) with the subject heading Code4Lib 2015 Diversity Scholarship Application containing the following (combined into a single attached PDF, if possible):
- A brief letter of interest, which:
- Identifies your eligibility for a diversity scholarship
- Describes your interest in the conference and how you intend to participate
- Discusses your merit and needs for the scholarship
- A resume or CV
- Contact information for two professional or academic references
The application deadline is Dec. 31, 2014, 5pm EST. The scholarship committee will notify successful candidates the week of Jan. 9, 2015.
We would like to thank our sponsors for supporting the Code4Lib 2015 Diversity Scholarships. All sponsors have left it up to the discretion of the Code4Lib 2015 Scholarship Committee for how to award these diversity scholarships.
- CurateCamp: sponsored one scholarship
- Equinox: sponsored one scholarship
- Mx A. Matienzo: sponsored one scholarship
- Code4lib community, with help from the Digital Public Library of America and Data Curation Experts: sponsored two scholarships
For more information on the Code4Lib Conference, please see the conference website at http://code4lib.org/conference/2015. You can see write-ups of previous Code4Lib Conferences: